music portraying the atmosphere of a game

Started by TalesofDerek, May 12, 2007, 04:45:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TalesofDerek

Well for the record Castlevania is a great series of games and the music is classic. Symphony of the Night, Harmony of Dissonance, Aria of Sorrow these titles say it all. Just thought I would give this dead board some life, now it is the undead. Sounds like some corny item IGA would put in a game almost. "Undead Forum" You can only get that jawn once every play, but of course carry over with new game+.

Party Time 2000

Tenchu for PS1. 
Excellent and original music, coupled with the sound effects of water and fire burning, made it one awesome atmosphere.

I really love the FF Tactics music. 

At the time, Ultima Underworld music for the PC was really important in creating the atmosphere of the game. 

I could go on for days here!

Games I wish had music, during gameplay, is Thief for PC

maelstrom79

There are a lot of games out there with great atmospheric music.  It seems like everyone's so focused on visuals these days that music has suffered as much or more than storyline and character depth.  I think that often times, less is more when it comes to atmosphere being created by music.  Super Metroid, for example, wouldn't have been nearly as dark and creepy if it'd had constant, "perky" music.  The use of silence made that game more startling and tense.  Other games such as Shadow Man and Shadow of the Colossus have minimal music.  Usually, music means danger for these games.  And sometimes when a game is full of great music, a little silence reaches out and grabs your attention, like in the case of Chrono Cross, which, might I add, has the best soundtrack in game history in my opinion.  ActRaiser 2 and Final Fantasy VII were also exceptional.  Anyway, that's all I have to say about this subject, whatever it was.
"Sex is like a bridge game.  You'd better have a good partner or you'd better have a good hand"

modernrocko

I would highly agree on the Chrono Cross soundtrack, that game has an amazing score.  I play guitar, so I guess that was the thing that hooked me the most, because they use acoustic guitars in several of the songs.

the FF Tactics music was also great.  I bought the soundtrack years ago and used to listen to it on repeat when I worked third shift receptionist at a local hotel.  so good.

Ultima 8: Pagan incorporated really creepy atmospheric music to set the tone of the game.  Even the combat music sounds unnerving, because most of the time you're fighting undead or unnatural things.  that game used to creep the crap out of me back in the day.

and as for creepy background music, it doesn't really get much creepier than the Silent Hill music.  SH2 has, in my opinion, the best soundtrack of all three.  Akira Yamaoka is a genius.

there was more, but I don't rememeber it all.  ha.